Now that Seafair Weekend has finished up, Summer will be moving quickly toward Fall. Don’t think that summer is completely gone, however — there’s plenty of Island summer fun scheduled in the month of August. And a good share of it is free, which is awesome!
Check out the calendar below to see the details regarding these August Mercer Island events.
Now to Wednesday, August 31st (Mondays through Fridays)
- Various Times & Locations l The Fun Mobile is bringing “Fun on the Run” around the island this August. It’s free to participate, although donations are gladly accepted. Activities include mega squirt guns, water balloon launcher, and giant slip-n-slide. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1-4PM, Fun Mobile staff will be stationed at the Adventure Playground.
Thursday, August 11th
- 7 – 8:30PM l Mostly Music in the Park featuring Black River Blues, a Bluegrass, swing, country & blues band. Concerts are located in Mercerdale Park, at the Veteran’s Recognition Pergola.
Saturday, August 13th
- 7:45PM & 9PM l Outdoor Movies : Free Family Films at Mercerdale Park. All ages welcome! The movie will be The Karate Kid, which is rated PG and stars Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan. Mercer Island Martial Arts Studios will be giving demonstrations starting at 7:45PM and the movie will start approximately at 9pm.
Sunday, August 14th
- 7 – 8:30PM l Mostly Music in the Park featuring 85th Street Big Band, which plays “Big Band” oldies but goodies. Concerts are located in Mercerdale Park, at the Veteran’s Recognition Pergola. This is the last performance of the 2011 season.
Thursday, August 18th
- 11:30am – 1:00pm l National Senior Citizen’s Day Celebration: for ages 55+. Location is the Community & Event Center, Mercer Room. Free activities are planned, along with a $7.00 BBQ lunch served at noon. Transportation is available. Reservations required for lunch. Please call (206)275-7609 to reserve your lunch spot and request a ride.
- 5:30 – 8:30PM l 3rd Thursday Artwalk: This month’s free artwalk is located in the Northwest Downtown Zone. Please stop by Windermere R.E. / Mercer Island, one of the participating businesses for the month of August. The Windermere coloring contest entries from Summer Celebration will be on display, along with other local art. The 3rd Thursday Art walk is evening of art, music, light snacks and other goodies.
Saturday, August 20th
- 10am – 2pm l Recycling Event: Windermere R.E. / Mercer Island is teaming up again with 1 Green Planet for a recycling event. 1 Green Planet will be accepting items to recycle in the Windermere Parking lot located at 2737 77th Ave SE. Have a family clean up day and dispose of the recyclables for FREE!
Saturday, August 27th
- 7:30PM & 8:30PM l Outdoor Movies : Free Family Films at Mercerdale Park. All ages welcome!The movie will be the animated Disney film Tangled, starring the voices of Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi, and Donna Murphy.There will be a Prince & Princess Party (costumes encouraged) at 7:30pm, and the movie will begin around 8:30pm.
If I missed an island event, please share the details in the comment section. Thank you!