Happy Saturday, everyone! Hopefully you all are enjoying the last bit of sunshine peeking through the clouds this weekend. In addition to the usual Sunday street fair, Mercer Island Farmer’s Market is hosting an Oktoberfest Benefit on October 13th at the MI Beach Club. The event will feature local food and music as well as beer and wine tasting. The event runs from 6:00 to 8:30 pm, with no ticket fee, and donation optional. RSVP here and show your support for our local vendors!
The 5th Biennial Mercer Island Senior Resource Fair, scheduled at Mercer Island Community & Event Center this Saturday, 10/5/13, will showcase a plethora of local resources available to Mercer Island Seniors, and their families. Below is the speaker lineup. There’s a wide variety of topics scheduled on the Fair itinerary.
- 9:15- Sgt. Ryan Parr, Mercer Island Police
MI Best Road Practices & Senior Scams
- 10:15- Sarah Geiger, Cascade Memorial
“Where Do I Begin?” End of Life Arrangement Planning
- 10:15- Jean Henkels, Covenant Shores
- 11:15- Karen Beck, Stroum Jewish Community Center
Senior Cardio Fitness
- 11:15- Kristie Cook RD, Videll Healthcare
- 12:15- Linda J. Porter, Lifespan Respite Washington
Respite Homecare Giver: Resources, Support and Rest
- 12:15- Ryan Dammeier, Kline Galland
Continuum of Care in your home: Home Care,
Hospice, Palliative Care & Home Health
23% of Mercer Island’s resident population are aged 55 and over. The local community is committed to making Mercer Island an excellent city to age in place. As part of this commitment, the Fifth Biennial Mercer Island Senior Resource Fair will be held on Saturday, October 5th, 2013, hosted by The Senior Foundation of Mercer Island. The event will be held over at the Mercer Island Community & Event Center from 9:00am to 1:00pm.
The desired outcome of the Resource Fair is to assist in connecting Senior island residents, and their families, with local resources that help facilitate happy, healthy aging. Below is a break down of what will be on hand at the October 5th event:
- Demonstrations and speakers discussing Senior products and services island seniors and their families may need
- Informative break-out sessions featuring more in-depth details on topics which affect Mercer Island seniors
Admission to the Senior Resource Fair is free, as are the complimentary Light Breakfast, Lunch and Health Screening. Flu Shots will also be available, at a nominal cost.
If you have any further questions about the 5th Biennial Mercer Island Senior Resource Fair , please call the Senior Foundation of Mercer Island at 206-232-4597, or send an email to email@example.com.
Part of the ongoing mission of The Senior Foundation of Mercer Island is providing free, informative resources via the their website, including links to businesses participating in the Resource Fair.
How was your first week back to school? There were probably numerous pieces of paper for you and your student to sift through the last 7 days. If you think you may be missing some important Mercer Island School District information, take a moment to check out the ’13-14 Back to School Webpage, which includes both a 1 page pdf calendar and an online district calendar, by month. Do you have questions about bus routes? Click here for more details.
Are you new to the Mercer Island School district? There’s a webpage welcoming new families, which include parent contacts for each school in case you have some community questions. Do you have questions about the district curriculum? MISD also has a set of curriculum webpages, set up by grade level. Navigate to your student’s grade level in the left hand sidebar. You can also attend the Curriculum Night at your student’s school to get any questions answered (the nights vary by school, but most are in mid-September).
If you have a student at the high school, take a moment to check out the Mercer Island High School website, which contains an abundant amount of information. If you need a reminder about your student’s varying schedule, there is a page outlining the daily schedules at the high school.
Do you need some ideas for packing nutritious, but fun, lunches for your student? We’re pinning back-to-school lunch ideas on our Get Your Gourmet On! Board. We’ll be adding new suggestions all week. If you have ideas you’d like to share about school lunches, please use the comment section below.
Cheers to a fabulous school year!
- Check out I Love my GFF Gluten Free Food see what yummy food they have.
- At the children’s table is Little Red Hen’s Wheat. Come check it out!
- And of course there are cookies!! Check out Pinckey Cookie Cafe for you sweet tooth!!
- The Seattle Salsa Guy will be at MIFM today! come try all sorts of salsa’s. mmmm!!
The Farmers Market is open tomorrow, Sunday 10 – 3 PM 8/25 and ready for you to stop on by! Some of our recent favorites include:
- Jeb’s Wild Salmon- a family of fisherman bringing a selection of wild caught salmon to the streets of M.I.
- Seattle Salsa Guy- handcrafted salsas made without preservatives, additives or canned tomatoes
Have a great weekend!
- Music playing is the Strange Nails band they are funk rock with a jazzy flare.
- At the children’s table is Carrot Top Gardens, Come See!!
- Outreach table is not every Sunday but occasionally and this Sunday it is their being hosted by the Mercer Island Women’s Club. See what they are all about.
- Music playing is the Summer Januaries band with guitar, vocals and a little blue grass with folk and pop!
- At the children’s table is berry ink. Come check it out!
- And there will be a tasting demo that day come see!!
- High 5 will be serving free samples of Marionberry Pie come see and try some!!
Coming up soon is the 10th Annual Island Books Night presented by Senior Foundation of Mercer Island. The fun begins at 6:30pm on Thursday, August 22nd, and runs until 8:30pm. However, all day on August 22nd, please mention your purchase is to be credited towards the Senior Foundation, who will receive 20% of the sales. This is a terrific time to stock up on your reading material, or pick up a gift or two, along with helping out a terrific cause. Bring in your shopping list, or purchase a few gift certificates for use anytime during the year. You can drop into the store any time during the day, or even phone in orders to Island Books at 206-232-6920.
The theme for the evening will be a Sneak Preview of the soon-to-be published book by Jane Meyer-Brahm, Mercer Island History: from Haunted Wilderness to Coveted Community. The fun begins with nibbles and beverages, available starting at 6:30pm. Festivities include a video presentation by Meyer-Brahm, titled The Un-History of Mercer Island, beginning at 7pm. It will be immediately followed up by a question and answer exchange. At 8 pm there will be a drawing for raffle ticket prizes, which include six tickets for the Seattle Great Wheel, a copy of Meyer-Brahm’s book, and two bottles of wine (Winners need not be present).